Everyone knows that self-care is important and having a self-care routine can reduce our anxiety and restore our energy (physically and mentally). But sometimes, we lack the motivation to practice self-care. So what do we do if once we lose motivation and energy to continue our self-care routines? The answer: positive self-talk. We’ve mentioned before how positive self-talk is beneficial to our mental health and talking to ourselves (internally or externally) is completely natural! In fact, we spend the majority of our day talking to ourselves! Positive self-talk can help increase our confidence and restrain ourselves from negative thoughts or emotions for when we find ourselves in difficult moments.
Whenever you begin to feel overwhelmed and lack the energy and motivation to keep up with your self-care routine, please do not be hard on yourself. Curb those negative thoughts by coming up with self-empowering mantras to tell yourself regularly. If you find yourself in a difficult moment, here are some examples of self-empowering mantras to try:
- “I am doing the best I can.”
- “I am struggling right now, but I am hopeful.”
- “I am in control of my actions.”
- “I believe in myself and I trust my own wisdom.”
- “I am resilient, strong, and brave.”
- PsychCentral’s article – “When You’re Too Busy and Too Tired For A Self-Care Practice.”
- PositivePsychology’s examples of positive mantras or affirmations – https://positivepsychology.com/daily-affirmations/.
If you are in a crises and in distress, please visit our “Get Help Now” page for hotlines and resources to support you through this difficult time.